PXG - Network Engineer - SRE - Scottsdale, AZ
Parsons Xtreme Golf (PXG) was founded by American entrepreneur and philanthropist Bob Parsons with the sole intent to design and develop the world’s finest golf clubs – and we believe we have done just that! With no cost or time constraints, PXG is committed to the long process of researching various alloys, exploring new technologies, and identifying the unique properties that make PXG clubs perform unlike anything else. With no set product release cycles, the company takes its time and pours every ounce of innovation into each new club design. PXG offers a full lineup of right and left-handed golf clubs, including drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putters, as well as a complete line of high-performance, fashion-forward apparel. Ready to join the PXG team?
Network Engineering - Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. The SRE team is responsible for keeping user-facing services and other YAM Worldwide production systems running smoothly. We specialize in systems, whether it be networking, operating systems, or some more specific interest in scaling, cloud, or distributed systems. The scope of this job description is an emphasis on the networking discipline, however a holistic understanding of all SRE department systems will be necessary to be successful in the role. As SREs, we are responsible for the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems.
As an SRE you will:
- Be on an on-call rotation to respond to YAMWW availability incidents and provide support for operations or development escalations.
- Assist with on-site field engineer work such as racking, stacking, and maintaining our MDF/IDF rooms.
- Identify the root cause of failures and prevent them from ever happening again.
- Configure and deploy our infrastructure with Ansible, Cloud formation, and Jenkins.
- Consistently improve monitoring and alerting to alert us on symptoms and not on outages exclusively.
- Document every action so your findings turn into repeatable actions–and then into automation.
- Improve the deployment process for applications, infrastructure, and services to make it as automated as possible.
- Maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow YAMWW services to scale from small to enterprise-class deployments.
- Debug production issues across all services and levels of the stack.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Think about systems - edge cases, failure modes, behaviors, specific implementations.
- Know your way around Linux and Windows Server Operating Systems
- Know the use of config management systems, preferably Ansible.
- Are proficient in at least one scripting language.
- Have an urge to collaborate and communicate effectively.
- Have an urge to document all things so you don't need to learn the same thing twice.
- Have an enthusiastic, go-for-it attitude. When you see something broken, you can't let it go until it has been improved or fixed.
- Have an urge for delivering quickly and iterating fast.
- Know when to be confident and humble under pressure.
Projects you could work on:
- Stand up new physical sites for expansions for YAMWW businesses, including the associated infrastructure.
- Datacenter refresh including physically installing new hardware, setting up, and configuring Nutanix.
- Security Operations including patching, hardening, and securing our applications, services, and networks.
- Regular physical site audits to ensure things are up to our standards including remediation if necessary.
- Develop new roles for Ansible to help maintain our applications, services, and infrastructure.
- Improving our monitoring and alerting frameworks with Datadog and other tooling.
- Identify SLO/SLAs that can be effectively measured and utilized to improve service uptime and performance and applications or services
You are responsible for:
- Planning, designing, and deploying infrastructure for new retail locations for any of our sister companies.
- Deploy new applications and services as needed for YAMWW businesses.
You should have technical experience with:
- Application Management (Patching, Debugging, Maintaining, Access Control)
- Networking skills (Basic Fundamentals or experience designing global hybrid networks)
- Virtual environments (Nutanix or VMware)
- Source code management utilities (Git/VSS/etc)
- Adding and removing physical hardware from a traditional datacenter rack (Including tidy cable management)
- Identifying an assortment of physical connections (Single/multi-mode fiber, NEMA 5-20R/L5-30P, SFPs)
- Reading and creating rack elevation diagrams
Your background should include:
- Very strong problem solving & troubleshooting skills including the ability to perform root cause analysis for preventative analysis.
- At least 2-3 years in a Systems Administrator or Engineering role
- A strong desire to learn and improve your technical skills
- Proven track record of working with preventive/predictive maintenance techniques
- Strong analytical, planning, organizational, and time management skills
- A history of owning applications, projects, outcomes and resolutions.
- A Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
This position will be exposed to various working conditions. Must be able to sit and work at a desk and stand for long periods of time. This position will be required to travel to various properties depending on needs. Work from home will be available on occasion.
PXG is a drug-free, smoke-free, and fragrance-free work environment.
PXG believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender (and gender identity or gender nonconformity), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information or any other characteristic protected under applicable laws. PXG will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.
Job Reference #: 1630